Sunday, March 9, 2014

How to Die

Instructor: "Ahh, welcome back to our ‘How to Die’ class. Remember to invite your friends and family because, as we all know, you never know when Death herself is going to creep up on you. Ha." Chuckles. "Anyways, today we are continuing working on our final words. I’ll come around and see how you guys are coming along."

Instructor: "'Sex.' Hmm… I like how provocative and bold you are. However, you might want to lengthen it a bit."

Instructor: “Whoa, whoa… A whole paragraph?! You’ll be long dead before you read the eighth line, and people will never understand what you were trying to say. This is your one chance someone will listen to you completely. Your life will have been a complete waste!!”

Instructor: “‘Solve problems as they arise, for I have not, and I have failed.’ Umm. I’m all for teaching your kids lessons, but that should be done before you’re on your deathbed. In fact, how about right now? Also, when everybody is celebrating your life, I don’t recommend reminding them you have done nothing with it.”

Instructor: “No, no, no. This sounds far too rehearsed! It’s supposed to seem as ‘natural’ as possible!”

Instructor: “Ahh, a raised hand. How admirable.”

Me: “Mr. Livingston, what will your last words be?”

Instructor: “Excellent question, although I don’t recommend modeling yours after mine. Mine will be ‘Finally!’ When you have spent all your life preparing for this moment, you haven’t appreciated life to the point where you realize the significance of its passing.”

I walked out of the class. I had no time to prepare for death.

I was too busy living.

5 comments:

  1. You've got this kind of dark wittiness to your writing that I'm captivated by. Your words are meaningful and thought-provoking and full without writing too much. I love how you're "too busy living" and I can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is so underrated. Seriously your writing is genius. Don't stop ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED the way you wrote this. With the instructor and the class. I especially loved the last line. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how original this is. It's both funny and thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you have spent all your life preparing for this moment, you haven’t appreciated life to the point where you realize the significance of its passing. #stolen

    ReplyDelete